Thursday, April 9, 2009

Who are you in the poker world?

What's up shooters? Here goes my first theoretical article.

So for all those who have read a few poker books, you all know that an important aspect to becoming a good player is to know how the players around yourself play. Every player has a different style, but knowing these styles is vital for success. Now every book I've read has addressed how to play against the different styles, but I've noticed not many go in depth on how to actually identify the different types of players.

There are different approaches I use. When playing a live game, I usually try to conversate with others around the table. By talking about how the hands that have passed. For ex. after a hand I would probably ask an opponent how they would have played the hand. Maybe I would ask the opponent whether odds were involved in the hand. If they reply yes than maybe they would be a descent player. If they answered with a response of "implied odds was a factor" than I would label the player as a more knowledgeable and better player. If they say, "I don't know" I would think they don't know anything and they don't think about other hands than theirs, or they don't want to give away information, which is an extremely strong player.

Another way I assess a player's abilities is by watching what they do with their chips. If they know chip tricks other than shuffling, I can categorize them as an experienced player because it takes time to learn how to perform chip tricks. This process of assessment I find is quite reliable because one doesn't practice chip tricks unless they're at a poker table regularly, are obsessed with poker and practices in their spare time, or are magicians. If a player is at the table a lot, they must gain a lot of experience, which can define their abilities as above average. If a player can perform chip tricks because they are obsessed with poker, then they definitely are very knowledgeable and must watch for them. Lastly if they can perform tricks because they are a magician, then I just leave because I don't trust a player that can make my chips disappear haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment